New York, Susquehanna & Western
Through stock purchases, the NYS&W came under control of the Erie Railroad in 1898, and continued to be operated as a subsidiary until 1940. Bankruptcy came to the Susquehanna in 1937, from which it would not emerge until 1953.
Due to wartime surges of traffic, the first diesels arrived in 1943. With portside property developed at Edgewater and leased to SeaTrain Corp., new revenue coming in allowed a modernization of commuter trains with new Budd coaches and rail diesel cars.
Then the economic recession of the late 1950s took its toll, and the railroad began a long decline as it retrenched to its New Jersey roots, with all western interchange partners gone and the road washed out west of Butler by 1979. The Delaware Otsego Corp. would be the Susquehanna's savior, reviving the railroad and growing the company into a top regional player in the northeastern rail scene.
Susquehanna" offers a detailed look at the operation of the railroad from Little Ferry, New Jersey, all the way to Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, from 1940 right up to the end of the 1970s. The book features many rare scenes of Russian Decapods, streamlined gas-electrics, RS1s and RDCs, along with a look at neighboring roads Lehigh & New England, the Lehigh & Hudson River, and the New York, Ontario & Western. The 1991 reprint includes an epilogue outlining the success of DO Corp. in expanding and reinventing the Susy-Q. A must for any fan of short line railroading!